Sunday, January 13, 2013

Search for Improvement

Week two and going strong with my resolutions. I'm so proud of my little self for blogging yet again. Also, in keeping with my other 2 New Year goals I have joined the BYU fitness classes and made 3 meals this week. Whoooot whoot! I just can't help but give myself a verbal pat on the back here. (Go me!) Alright, on with the actual blog post.

Today in Church an interesting concept was brought up. Apparently Lorenzo Snow once mentioned something along the line of "The whole purpose of the gospel is improvement". This is actually something I've mulled over before in moments of deep pondering (often occurring while trying to fall asleep or taking a shower).  Improvement or progression (as I have always thought of it) really is the driving force behind my religion and my life. Why am I on earth if not for a purpose? If there is none, you and I are just floundering through life.

Of course, I know there are some that may disagree with me, but I choose to believe there is a higher call and goal in us being here. Thus, one of my favorite aspects of my church is the structure of the whole thing. We believe in plans, laws, and ultimately a higher purpose that is achieved through daily doing small and simple things. In short, there is a goal I'm always working towards, and this goal changes the decisions I make and who I become. Isn't the purpose of religion to teach us and thus shape us? This sort of thing just makes sense, for those things that truly matter to us forever change us. Of course, we are not perfected instantly (or anytime soon thereafter). However, as long as were trying to better live the gospel, improvement and progression of self are inevitable.

Now, most of my posts wont be so spiritual in nature (I'm more prone to write about mundane life happenings and cute baby animals), but this is something I wanted to write out so I could think it though. Take of it what you will, but since no one reads my blog I feel like this was more of a journal entry rather then a religious statement. Just as well since this is more rambling thought then a well thought out essay. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment